World Journal of
Pharmaceutical and Life Sciences

( An ISO 9001:2015 Certified International Journal )

An International Peer Reviewed Journal for Pharmaceutical and Life Sciences
An Official Publication of Society for Advance Healthcare Research (Reg. No. : 01/01/01/31674/16)
World Journal of Pharmaceutical and Life Sciences (WJPLS) has indexed with various reputed international bodies like : Google Scholar, Index Copernicus, Indian Science Publications, SOCOLAR, China, Cosmos Impact Factor, Research Bible, Fuchu, Tokyo. JAPAN, Scientific Indexing Services (SIS), Jour Informatics (Under Process), UDLedge Science Citation Index, Global Impact Factor (In Process), International Impact Factor Services, International Scientific Indexing, UAE, International Society for Research Activity (ISRA) Journal Impact Factor (JIF), Science Library Index, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, International Innovative Journal Impact Factor (IIJIF), Scientific Journal Impact Factor (SJIF), Eurasian Scientific Journal Index (ESJI), Indian citation Index (ICI), IFSIJ Measure of Journal Quality, International Scientific Indexing, UAE (ISI), Web of Science Group (Under Process), Directory of Research Journals Indexing, Scholar Article Journal Index (SAJI), International Scientific Indexing ( ISI ), Scope Database, 



*Marife D. Sarita, Romenick A. Molina and Roldan T. Echem


The Red frog crab or Spanner crab (Ranina ranina Linnaeus, 1758), locally known as “Curacha”, is an important edible crab abundant in the coastal waters of Southwestern Mindanao, Philippines. The increased demands of this species for domestic and foreign consumption had greatly increased its retail in the local market. This study aimed to determine the supply chain analysis of Red Spanner crab (Ranina ranina, Linnaeus) in Zamboanga City. Specifically, it sought to determine the supply chain ofRed Spanner crab (Ranina ranina, Linnaeus) from the fisherman to the wholesaler and to the retailer.To determine its morphometric characteristics, total length, width, circular diameter and its total mass were measured. The abundance of red Spanner crabs was measured in terms of kilograms per week. The study was conducted in Zamboanga City Public Market, and Aderes Flea Market Guiwan, Zambonga City. This study is a descriptive-qualitative and quantitative analysis using survey method. This study was conducted within the month of April and May, 2018.The respondents were personally interviewed. Based on the study conducted, many of the respondents’ age ranges from 31-40 and the least ranges from 20-30 years’ old. Mostly were males and mostly were of Visayan tribe/ethnicity. Mostly were of Islam religion and all were living in District 2. Based on the results, Red spanner crabs are commonly caught in Basilan, Dumalitap, Manalipa, Panganat (66.67%) and Jolo (33.33%). Caught crabs were transported to the wholesaler which were located in Zamboanga City public market. Many of the wholesalers (66.67%) were the ones who funded the fishermen to catch the said species while the rest (33.33%) purchased it from the fisherman and other wholesaler. Some of the crabs were sold to retailers especially in Guiwan market vendors, some were sold to Alavar seafood restaurant which also serve Curacha or red Spanner delicacies in their restaurant in Zamboanga City as well as in Manila and to the rest of their branches and some were sold to consumers directly. Retailers sold their products to consumers. The mass of the S. crab determines its size. Small-sized weighs 0.250 kg but less than 0.5 kg, large sized weighs 0.5 kg but less than 1 kg, and jumbo sized or extra-large sized weighs 1 kg or more. The bigger the size of red spanner crab, the greater is its length, width and circular diameter. Medium-sized crabs were considered as good size. Accordingly, costumers prefer to buy female ones due to its nutritional value as well the presence of its eggs. Prices vary greatly on the seasons of the products which is every two months. The respondents had a very high sales of Red Spanner crab during its seasons but prices are low. On the contrary, the number of the products decreases when not in season or during breeding season however, prices are very high due to high demands from the consumers. Based on the results, concerned institutions should monitor the number of catch of Red Spanner crab and limits the size to be caught to a minimum of 8.6 cm carapace length or the dorsal part of the crab.

[Full Text Article]


World Journal of Pharmaceutical and life sciences Will give best paper award in every issue in the from of money along with certificate to promote research .

Best Article of current issue

Download Article : Click here